Thursday, May 21, 2009

Bento #8



Today's bento looks a little anorexic due to the lack of filler material. And yes, there are only two spears of asparagus. I'm not so keen on eating it. I enjoyed picking the vegetable when it grew along the irrigation canals of my parents farmland. I like the way it looks. I enjoy cooking it. Just don't make me eat it! However since it is in my fridge and I have vowed to not let food go to waste, I figured a little bit couldn't hurt me.

The wedges that sorta look like colored onigiri are actually a sort of potato pancake or omelet. I learned that this is what people in Spain call a tortilla. A Spanish tortilla isn't like Mexican tortilla, which is made of flour or corn. Rather, its more like an Italian frittata, but with more emphasis on the potato than the egg. Cookie cutters would be perfect for shaping this treat!

Lastly, this bento features a Copper Penny Salad. It's a refreshing way to serve sliced carrots, and I hear celery, bell pepper, or cucumber could go well in it too. There really isn't "one" way to make this side dish, so feel free t adapt it to your tastes! (I've tried to put some measurement values for reference.)

3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
~ 2 cups of water
2 tablespoons cider vinegar (I used rice vinegar because its what I have on hand.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon of an herb of your choice (I prefer dill or parsley)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt & Black Pepper to taste

1. Add a dash of salt to the water and bring it to a boil. Add the sliced carrots, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until they are just tender.

2. Strain the carrots and let them drain. (If you are into making your own broth stocks, you can strain the cooking water into a bowl to save it.)

3. Mix the vinegar, oil, herbs, sugar, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add the carrots and toss with a spoon until the carrots are well coated.

4. Refrigerate until ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment