Saturday, February 20, 2010

Salmon Salad Bento (#19)



I am really excited about a new recipe I found. It incorporates salmon and a veggie that I didn't even know was a veggie...fennel. To my surprise one of the markets in town actually had fennel. It sort of a cross between licorice (REAL licorice), celery, and a cabbage-like texture. If you haven't tried cooking with it, I highly recommend it! Here is a picture to give you an idea of what it looks like:



FYI, the wispy green stuff is called a frond, and is good for garnishing and flavor. The stalks can be used to flavor broths, and are too "woody" to eat. The bulb of the plant is that part that is eaten. The recipe can be found online here. I wasn't too thrilled at the work involved to prepare the oranges...and the wastage of most of it. I'm sure sliced oranges or canned mandarin oranges would work just as well and cut down on the prep time.

Here are some more pictures related to my salmon salad bento with fennel, orange, and mint!




1 comment:

  1. Yumm!! I love fennel! :D For some reason I always have a hard time finding it tho!

    ReplyDelete